When you search for an accessory for your glass bongs, you may come across terms such as ‘Male’ joints and ‘Female’ joints. To put it simply, they refer to accessories of the bong and are terms taken from mechanical as well as electrical manufacturing and trade. The female joint is typically a container that holds intact the male joint. The distinction between the two depends upon how the pipe connects with other portions of the glass bongs like the bowl.

The standard design of the glass water pipe has a female joint, which means that the downpipe gets put into the adapter and then a bowl into the downpipe. If the opening to insert accessories on the bong is large and is shaped to fit into, then it is a female pipe, which is compatible with a male joint. It is said that female bongs such as these work ideally with dried herbs.

On the other hand, the male bongs are supposed to be components that sit on top of the female joint. If the opening to insert accessories onto the male bong is small and is shaped to fit on the top, then the bong is compatible with female joints. Male bongs such as these are ideally designed for smoking oils as well as concentrates using a dabbing tool.

Knowing the Precise Dimensions

You need to take down the dimensions when you buy any of the two accessories for your glass bong. If your female bong has a male joint opening, you should look for a 14.4 millimeters bowl, as they can be inserted into the bong easily and let you smoke dry flowers or cannabis buds. On the other hand, oil rigs featuring an opening for female joint would work with accessories like the quartz nail. They would sit over the male bong and let you smoke concentrate herbs as well as oils.

In addition to that, it is important to know the type of bong you have according to the dimensions when you are buying accessories for the glass bong. That will make sure that you get the right accessory for your smoking rig. In fact, there are three joint sizes available online – a micro or nano joint of 10 millimeter size, a 14.4 millimeter joint that is common for water pipes, and an 18.8 millimeter joint for larger glass bongs and pipes.